About SLOW FLOWERS
Slow Flowers is an award-winning online directory to help you find florists, studio designers, wedding and event planners, supermarket flower departments and flower farmers who are committed to using American-grown flowers (now in Canada, too!).
This site is the creation of Debra Prinzing, a writer, speaker, outdoor living expert and advocate for American flower farming.
She is the author of Slow Flowers: Four Seasons of Locally Grown Bouquets from the Garden, Meadow and Farm (St. Lynn's Press, 2013) and The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers (St. Lynn's Press, 2012).
Read Debra's essay: What does Slow Flowers mean anyway?
Debra explains her motivation for starting the SLOW FLOWERS directory:
Over the past several years, while doing media interviews and speaking to audiences about American-grown flowers, I continually heard the questions: 'Where can I find American flowers?" and "How can I find a florist who I trust will sell me locally-grown flowers?"
It became apparent to me that people want locally-grown, domestic flowers. But it isn't easy to find American-grown flowers in the sea of unlabeled imported ones. It's also hard to discover those very special, dedicated designers committed to using flowers from their local farmers or event flowers grown in nearby states, such as during the off season.
I was inspired to launch the SLOW FLOWERS online directory as a one-stop resource for consumers in search of florists who guarantee the origin of the flowers they use.
It's simple. When you contact a florist, flower shop or designer on SLOW FLOWERS, they commit to you, the consumer, that their flowers are truly homegrown.
You should be able to know the origins of the flowers you order to send to a loved one. You should be assured that the bouquet you carry down the aisle was grown by an American flower farmer. You should know that jobs are being created and nurtured in your community.
It's all about making a conscious choice.
How this site works:
- This user-friendly directory allows you to locate flower sources by searching City, State or Zip Code. Choose a category (Retail Flower Shop, Floral Studio, Supermarket Floral Department, Weddings/Events, Flower CSAs, Flower Grower) and then choose a specific area of the country.
- Depending on your search categories, you will see a list of the Slow Flowers participants in a city or state.
- Basic listings feature the flower provider's Name, Phone & Web Site
- Premium Member listings feature photography, slide galleries, videos, descriptions and customer reviews.
- When you contact a Slow Flowers member, be sure to tell them that you found them on this site AND that you plan on posting a review.
- Make Slow Flowers even more awesome by sharing your experience with other users. The personal review or anecdote is one way to increase the value and usefulness of this site.
What is the SLOW FLOWERS MOVEMENT?
The Slow Flowers Movement is a resonse to the disconnect between humans and flowers in the modern era. It aspires to reclaim the act of flower growing, recognizing it as a relevant and respected branch of domestic agriculture. Slow Flowers connects consumers with the source of their flowers, putting a human face of the flower farmer and floral designer behind each bouquet or centerpiece. The value of local, seasonal and sustainably-grown flowers is heightened when there is transparent origin labeling of all botanicals sold to consumers and professional florists.
Read the Slow Flowers Manifesto here.